Code of the Moai

Welcome! This is the blog of Jason Wathey, a resident of the Seminole Heights neighborhood in Tampa, Florida. The main purpose of this blog is to give me yet another project that I will not be able to get to, while detailing random thoughts about the neighborhood, Tiki, Tiki drinks and mixology, life, the universe, and everything. Politics, my progress through HCC's nursing program, and my wife's progress on getting to medical school will probably come up a lot as well.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My next camera...and Price's Writing


So I recently sold my Nikon D70 DSLR in order to pay for bartending classes, so I can make more money. Of course, I knew I would have to get another DSLR at some point, because I just pick apart the photos that come from regular digital cameras, even my Fuji S7000.

Well, I think Nikon is just about to release my next camera, the Nikon D200. This D200 has all the features I really wanted in the D70, like low ISO (100), usable high ISO without excessive noise (for night and astrophotography), mirror lock-up for night landscapes and astrophotography, a fully functional add-on hand grip, larger viewfinder for manual focus, a magnesium body, and resistance to rain through rubber seam seals. The camera is relatively expensive at $1700 MSRP, but is a bargain when compared to the Canon EOS 5D ($3299) and Nikon's top of the line D2X ($4999). The major difference between the Canon 5D and the Nikon D200 is that the 5D has a full frame image sensor, where the D200 has a DX sensor (a 1.5x field crop). Even compared with the D2X, the D200 is not lacking in many areas; the D2X has a slighty faster Continous Shooting mode (5.3 fps vs. 5), but the D200 can shoot more images in succession (37/22 vs. 22/17). The D2X does have an 8fps Continuous Crop (2.0x) mode which the D200 lacks altogether, but the D200 has a wider high ISO ranger without boosting (1600 vs. 800). Plus, in my mind, as an amatuer photographer that wants clear, sharp images without spending a fortune, the DX format sensor makes more sense, because the camera body itself is less expensive and you can use DX lenses.
However, since Nereia is expecting me to produce National Geographic-like images when we go to Peru, I will most likely have to get the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8...the atypical photojournalist lens, even wide-open at 2.8 the thing is tack-sharp. For the price, it better be the shit. I will definitely be needing to make some cash flow in bartending, with some websites on the side too.

Speaking of which, check out Chandra Price's new business site, Price's Writing. She has started her own professionial writing business focusing on Business Communications such as Annual Reports, Copywriting, and Press Releases; Paralegal Services such as Case Research and Summaries, Motions, and Presentations; and Professional Writing/Editing such as Speeches, Copyediting, and Proofreading. I will be handling her web services as she expands into writing and editing for business websites. Good luck Chandra, and keep sending them my way!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home